Toronto Hydro Pole Relocation + New Installments

Posted in City Wide

Toronto Hydro is investing up to $500M annually to upgrade their systems, a lot of this work includes replacing old poles with newer, stronger and more storm resistant poles. They are wider and taller. The size of the new poles and design specs to address changing climate/storm severity also require different spans between poles which is why some can’t be replaced. More anchors or guy wires are also required.
Each pole is actually part of the overall network of poles and plays a role with neighbouring poles, poles across and down the street. Weight of equipment and wires, loading and overall structural integrity all come into play when designing the system, not to mention other utilities and underground obstructions.
We understand that most people do not want a pole on their property (albeit some do and also want a street light attached to it) but designing and placing them is done with considerable attention to detail and requirements of the overall grid.

As seen in our July eNewsletter

Construction Noise Bylaw and Exemption Permits

Posted in City Wide, Construction Notices, Development, Ward 5



The Noise Bylaw provides standards for noise and applies to all properties in Toronto. The bylaw prohibits noise at any time that is likely to disturb others. Click here for more details.

The largest complaints are generally about construction, loud music or barking dogs.

Construction hours:

  • Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • not allowed on Sundays and statutory holidays

Exceptions to the rule:

Some construction projects apply for a noise exemption permit which allows them to work outside of the regulated hours.

Municipal work, or work undertaken due to emergency situations are exempt from the Noise bylaw and exemption requirements.

If possible, speak to the person or people responsible for the noise to give them an opportunity to correct the issue or of course contact our office. Alternatively, you should contact 3-1-1 Toronto with any complaint.

As seen in our July eNewsletter

Committee of Adjustment New Requirement for Members – Trees

Posted in City Wide, Development

Parks and Environment Committee recommended, and City Council approved, that in the new term of Council members of Committee of Adjustment must have a knowledge of trees that is demonstrable and applicable to reviewing applications:

2.  City Council amend the criteria of Committee of Adjustment and Toronto Local Appeal Body Panels to include knowledge of, and/or background in, urban forestry and environmental planning.

As seen in our July eNewsletter

Heating and Cooling Bylaw for Landlords / Tenants

Posted in City Wide, Ward 5



Councillor Justin Di Ciano is aware of the concerns surrounding the start date of the “switch” from heating to Air Conditioning in many of our buildings. This is an item which requires more work to rectify in the new term of Council. 

The issue was on the agenda of ML&S Committee May 4th. There was a full debate of the issues and complications.


[READ] The Direction from City Council

Below is an at-a-glance summary of the heat bylaw as it pertains to apartment buildings, as per Municipal Licencing & Standards.

HEATING (minimum temperatures):
A landlord is responsible for providing heat to a residential dwelling at a minimum of 21 degrees Celsius between September 15 and June 1 of each year. If the heating/ventilation system is out of service and currently being repaired/maintained, this is not a violation and no investigation is required.
Note: The heating bylaw does not apply to common areas (hallways, stairwells, building entrances, etc). The bylaw only applies to the dwelling unit. If there is heating equipment in common areas, so long as the equipment is in good working order (Property Standards bylaw requirement), there is no minimum temperature that applies to these areas.
AIR CONDITIONING (maximum temperatures):
Air Conditioning should go on, if provided/supplied by the property owner, from June 2nd to Sept. 14th to maintain an indoor temperature of not more than 26 degrees Celsius. Municipal Licensing & Standards is unable to take any enforcement action outside of these dates.
If an air conditioner is broken, a landlord is required to either fix it or replace it. There is no requirement for a landlord to install an air conditioner. For issues regarding request from landlord to tenant to remove an a/c unit, tenant should check lease agreement to see if any restrictions exist. This issue doesn’t fall under Property Standards bylaw.
No building permit is required to install a window air conditioner in a rental unit or privately owned home, but tenants should consult their lease agreement to determine if they are permitted in their units.
For more information about the Heating and Air Conditioning Bylaw, click here.

 As seen in our July eNewsletter

TTC Policy re: Speed Humps on TTC Routes

Posted in City Wide, Road Work, Ward 5
TTC Policy is as below:
  • Going over speed humps jostles bus passengers and could result in increased on-board injuries because bus passengers are not belted in, are often standing, and are not watching for sudden large bumps in the road;
  • Going over speed humps adds to customers’ discomfort and inconvenience and, as the transit system becomes more universally accessible to elderly, frail and disabled customers, this concern is accentuated;
  • Speed humps can result in undercarriage damage to buses with lowered ground-height clearances such as the low-floor vehicles now in the fleet; and
  • Repeated travel by buses over speed bumps could create an increased risk of structural and suspension fatigue-related failures that could not be consistently predicted and, therefore, would not be subject to preventive maintenance.


A message from the TTC:

The TTC is opposed to the installation of speed humps on any road on which we operate revenue service.  Given that the buses often operate with standing loads, the TTC see the installation of speed humps as creating an unacceptable risk to their customers.  And, it is for this reason that that authority for the installation of speed humps on roads on which TTC operates transit service rests with City Council.
The TTC  believe there is only one road section with speed bumps on which TTC operates infrequent scheduled service; and these were installed prior to a formalization of TTC’s policy related to speed humps and were therefore grandfathered. TTC will request that they be removed once the road is scheduled for resurfacing.

As seen in our July eNewsletter

Vision Zero – More Good News!

Posted in City Wide, Ward 5


City Council has really committed to this, Councillor Justin Di Ciano is thrilled to see this moving forward.

Councillor Di Ciano and his staff were ahead of the City with Councillor Di Ciano’s Ward 5 TARGET ZERO Campaign, which we started in Ward 5 with 22 Division. Read Councillor Di Ciano’s May 2016 general eNewsletter here.

Councillor Justin Di Ciano was pleased to vote in support of the additional funding at City Council June 27th and support the motions of his fellow colleagues. 

Councillor Justin Di Ciano also asked Senior Staff to review the measures used in London, UK pavement markings to improve and address the critical issue of Pedestrian Safety. Watch here.

Let’s hope that with more dollars, calming/design measures, increased enforcement, increased fines around schools and photo radar we will witness improvement in the safety on our roads  (around schools)  to address what everyone agrees is a dire situation.

More good news out from The City of Toronto Public Works and Infrastructure Committee:

PW30.5 ACTION      Ward:All 
Vision Zero Road Safety Plan: Designation of Community Safety Zones around Elementary Schools
(May 29, 2018) Report from the General Manager, Transportation Services
The General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that:  

1.  City Council designate the locations listed in Attachment 1 as Community Safety Zones and amend City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 397, Community Safety Zones, accordingly.

As a part of the Vision Zero Road Safety Plan, City Council recently lifted the moratorium on the creation of new Community Safety Zones. This is a critical step forward in the Vision Zero Road Safety Plan, to help reduce aggressive driving and speeding in areas within the City that have higher concentrations of school children.

Accordingly, this report seeks the approval from Council to amend the necessary by-laws to designate the extended frontages of the 754 kindergarten to grade 8 (K-8) schools within the City as Community Safety Zones. Doing so will make the Zones eligible for automated speed enforcement under the Province’s Bill 65, Safer School Zones Act, 2017, once the applicable sections are proclaimed in force, while providing the immediate benefit of speeding fines being doubled in these key walking and biking routes to schools.

In addition, this report details the medium term plans for improving safety in the vicinity of schools:

[READ] Medium Term Plan Report


As seen in our July eNewsletter

FAQs on Watermain Structural Relining and Service Upgrades

Posted in City Wide



  • The City is replacing the pipes on my street. Will they replace the one leading into my home too?

The contractor is mandated to upgrade the city-owned portion of any water services that do not meet City standards. The city owns the portion of the pipe from the watermain to the property line.


  • Why does the City move fire hydrants?

As required by the contract, the contractor must remove and replace all existing fire hydrants and ensure that the installation of the new fire hydrant meets current city specifications. Sometimes, relocation of the fire hydrant is required in order to meet city specifications.


  • Will the City/City’s contractor need to enter my building?

The City-hired contractor may need access to your home/building to complete a pre-construction survey and install shut off valves. You will receive notification to schedule an appointment with the contractor. There may be other occasions where the contractor will have to enter your building in order to access your plumbing system. Please ensure that proper identification is provided upon allowing a worker to enter your building to avoid fraudulent contractors who are not associated with the City’s contractor. For additional questions and comments please contact the Field Ambassador 647-923-3430 or for further information.


  • Will the work affect my sprinkler system?

Automatic lawn sprinkler systems may be affected, therefore, you may need to water your lawn manually. In the event you did not receive advanced notice, an emergency water shut off could have been necessary.


  • Will my driveway be damaged during construction?

If the water services to your property do not meet City standards, there may be work required in your driveway to upgrade the city-owned portion of your water services. Any cuts into the driveway will be fully restored by the contractor once the work is complete.


  • Will the work on my street affect my water supply?

You will experience occasional water disruptions, however you will receive at least 48-hours notice before any planned water shut-offs. For water disruptions that you did not receive notice for, it is possible that an emergency has occurred. For additional questions or concerns, please contact the Field Ambassador at 647-923-3430 or



  • I live/work within the Work Area and I received a parking ticket as a result of City-conducted work. What should I do?

Please contact the Field Ambassador at 647-923-3430 or to see if you are eligible for potential cancellation of your ticket.


  • A contractor is requesting access to my property. Can you confirm if this contractor is under contract to the City?

The name of the contractor for each site is listed on page 2 of the Construction Notice that is provided to residents and 311.


  • What is a CCTV (closed circuit television)?

CCTV is a camera which is used to inspect the watermain. The camera records videos which are then reviewed for quality control purposes before and after relining of the watermain occurs. 


  • How will the City restore my property once the work is complete?

Any damage as a result of the construction works must be restored to their original condition or better. The contractor will restore any cuts in the asphalt or driveways once the work is completed. The contractor will also restore any grass or landscaping that has been disturbed during the project. Restorations are typically completed at the end of the project.


  • I am connected to the temporary by-pass (water supply), but I have no water. What should I do?

First, check for kinks in the blue hose for or if a vehicle is parked on the hose which may be preventing water from flowing through the hose.  


  • How do I find out if I have lead pipes, and what should I do?

If your house was built before the mid-1950s, then the water service pipe is probably made of lead, unless it was replaced at another time. You can find out how old your house is by asking the landlord or checking the ownership papers. If possible, look at the pipe that goes into your water meter. If it is grey, scratches easily and does not sound hollow when you tap it, it may be made of lead. To know for sure, ask a plumber or home inspector.


  • How long do structural lining projects take from start to finish?

Typically, these projects will take approximately 3 – 6 months to complete, with restorations to follow.


  • Will I receive a lead filter kit?
    During construction, if the City finds that the water pipe is made of lead, it will replace the City-owned part. After a lead water pipe is replaced, there may be a temporary increase of lead in your drinking water. The City will provide you with tips and a free water filter to help reduce the health impact from any temporary lead increase.



  • I am a corner lot. Will my water service by upgraded?

It depends. This will be clarified during the CCTV process when a camera inspects the watermain and determines which services feed from the watermain.


  • Why can’t my privately hired contractor use the same hole as the City / City’s Contractor when performing service upgrades?

There are strict laws against this as stipulated by the Ministry of Labour. Thus, only one contractor can work in an area at one time.


  • Why is there a constant stream of water from the pipe running on my street/boulevard?

Often a feed of water left intentionally running by the contractor is required in order to flush the temporary by-pass system. This is to help maintain water quality to avoid stagnant water in the system, or can be as part of the chlorination/flushing stage of work.


  • Why is there a blue hose connected to my property?

The blue hoses and pipes are the temporary by-pass system that is providing water to your property while the watermain is turned off to facilitate the work.


  • My water is discoloured/foggy. What should I do?

Turn on the tap that is closest to your water meter and let it run for 5 – 10 minutes to flush the water. If the issue persists, please contact the Field Ambassador 647-923-3430 or for further assistance.


  • I am connected to the temporary by-pass (water supply), and my water is coming out warm instead of cold. What should I do?

Warm weather can cause the water in the temporary by-pass pipes to heat up. Turn on the tap that is closest to your water meter and let it run for 5 – 10 minutes to flush the water. If the issue persists, please contact the Field Ambassador 647-923-3430 or for further assistance.

Towing Vehicles from Private Property

Posted in City Wide


The owner or representative of the owner has the authority to request that a vehicle left on the private property be removed.  They would contact police indicating that the vehicle is on private property and request to have it removed.

The officer that arrives would have the representative sign a Towing / Indemnity release form. A police contract tow company would be contacted to remove the vehicle from the private property. If the vehicle is considered “scrap” the towing company may require the property owner pay for the impound up front.

If you require more information on the matter, the 2 District supervisor that deals with these situations is Rabindra Singh of Parking West – 416 808-1617.

In the end the towing company needs to be paid by someone for the service rendered. If they believe the vehicle will not be claimed and it is of little value, then they may ask the property owner to cover the initial cost of the tow. If the owner does claim the vehicle then the initial fee will be returned. If they believe that the vehicle is of some value, they will impound the vehicle and charge the vehicle owner when they retrieve their vehicle.